You Will Need
- 1 package of Calhoun Bend Mill Awesome Onion Coating Mix
- Cold water
- Cooking oil
- 1-3 large onions (3-4 inches in diameter)
- Awesome Onion Maker required
- Cut onion in accordance with onion maker directions and place in cold water for 30-45 minutes.
- Combine 1/4 cup onion mix with 1/2 cup water to prepare a batter; set aside.
- Remove cut onion from water; spread/separate petals outward. Dust lightly with dry onion mix. Dip dusted onion into batter then again dust lightly with dry onion mix. In each step, spread petals to ensure thorough coatings between all petals.
- Deep fry onion, with root end up, in 3 inches hot oil (375˚- 400˚F) for 1 1/2 - 2 minutes. Turn onion over and fry an additional 1 1/2 minutes or until crisp and golden brown.
- Drain onion upside down on absorbent paper.
- Use corer tool to remove root/center area. Place dipping sauce in center and enjoy.
• Use any of the following items in place of onions: potatoes, dill pickles, okra,
zucchini, eggplant, squash, mushrooms, broccoli flowerets, jalapeno,
cauliflowerets, mozzarella cheese sticks or any of your favorite meats such as :
pork chops, round steak, wild game, chicken, fish or shrimp.